Security is one of those things that we all hear about and think is a good thing, but then we tend to let someone else worry about it. Although FAU has taken many steps to make its data and network secure, you need to be aware that what you do can put yourself, or at least your computer, at risk. A little bit of forethought on your part can go a very long way.
- Never give out personal information (Social Security number, birthday, driver’s license, any account number or password, etc.) to anyone who asks for it online, especially via e-mail. It is very easy for people to send e-mail that appears to be from a bank or other institution as a means of getting sensitive information. This kind of activity is called phishing. (**Note**FAU offices will never send you and email asking you to verify your personal information (ID, Password, Z-number, etc. )
- Never put your personal information, even your birthday, on any online site, such as Facebook or MySpace.
- Never give your passwords to anyone or allow someone to log onto your account.
- Never write your password and leave it in a place where someone will find it (such as taped to the bottom of your keyboard, computer, or monitor).
- Use anti-virus software to protect your computer from viruses and other harmful programs (known as malware).
- Use pop-up blockers in your web browser to help protect your computer from spyware (but be sure to allow pop-ups from the FAU domain since MyFAU and Blackboard both use them).
- Social Networking Tips – Social networking sites such as Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and LinkedIn have become extremely popular in recent years, both with kids and adults. They’re a great way to keep family and friends updated on your life, but you should be wary about how much personal information you post. Follow these tips to enjoy your social networking sites safely (College Xpress).
- Cyber Security Tips – Check out the latest in Cyber Security tips to be Smart and Secure Online..
- State of the Network
- Blocking Pop-Ups
- Safe Computing
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)